06-05-08

Greenknowe Tower - Borders

free image hosting

free image hosting

The lands of Greenknowe were obtained by the Setons of Touch in the early 15th century, when Alexander Seton married a Gordon heiress. The tower was built in 1581 by James Seton, and the date, his initials, and the initials of his wife Janet Edmonstone, are inscribed above the door. The castle is situated on a low natural mound, which was originally surrounded and defended by marshy ground.

In the 17th century, the tower was sold to the Pringles of Stichil, who made additions to the building, and enlarged the windows to suit the less dangerous times. The castle was occupied until the mid 19th century, and passed into state care in 1937 following restoration works.

23:00 Gepost door Johan R. Ryheul in Algemeen | Permalink | Commentaren (0) |  Facebook |

De commentaren zijn gesloten.